Sunday, July 22, 2012

Daily 6 Chapter 6-Part 2 Word Work







This is by far one of my favorite parts of D5. My students have loved all the activities I've made for them. I split up this chapter because I have so many ideas that I have used for writing & word work & wanted to share them with you! I do work work activities based around spelling, vocab, seasonal, word wall, amazing & sight words. First I show them some but not all the materials they can use during word work. They must know where to find the materials and where to put them back independently. Then I go over the following chart. 
Click on the pic to take you to your freebie Work on Writing/Word Work packet. 

Now I'd like to show you some of my ideas for Word Work. You have to make it fun & exciting for them. Make things so they don't even realize they are learning. My kids would fight over going to Word Work & it was because I always had different things to offer. Their VERY FAVORITE Word Work activity is the following games I developed.
 
 Here is how I store all the different games. I might change the baggies to soap boxes this year.

Here some of my tutoring students playing Candy Land. We tutor 2 days a week in the morning & this gives my lower students an opportunity to play my lower level games.
This is during Word Work. I simply give them the game for the skill we are focusing on. I have 70 (more to come) games so they are always working with the skill of the week. During review weeks I throw in an old game as well.
        Click on the Candy Land link at the top of my page to take you below!
This is a small snippet of my Candy Land page. There are 70....yes 70 different games! I have any Language Arts or Math games you would ever need. I even have Houghton Mifflin, Treasures & Scott Foresman games available. I know those games aren't all the way complete but they will be...I promise. 
My kiddos BEG....BEG....BEG to play with this during Work Work. It is their FAVORITE thing to do during Word Work time. They even want to play this during indoor recess. Seriously, they don't even realize their learning...they think their just playing a game. They get to play this at least 2x/week during Word Work. I even loan out games for tutoring, to take home, RtI, ELL & Reading Recovery. 
I added math games that I will be adding to my new math stations this year. Last year we were required to do a 90 minute literacy block....that is why I developed this product. This year we are required to have a 60 minute math block. Hopefully the kids don't have to use the bathroom or go to the nurse because there will be no time for that nonsense (insert sarcasm).

This is an oldie but goodie. I used our die cut machine & made this game called "Crash" with their sight words. I made some for Kindergarten, 1st & 2nd grade words. This is also a good filler game as well.

I had all these containers filled with activities that were basically collecting dust. Not since D5!  


 These are just blocks from the $ store & they made words with them (Real & Nonsense).
 One side would be real words & the other side are nonsense words.
 I had to take this pic! One of my little nuggets came up to me & said...."I swear I didn't do it on purpose!" Me: "Give me a sec I want to take a picture of this".....him "Please don't put this on the blog!" I have a classroom blog! He said his mom will recognize his arm! I miss him!
 
 Here are a ton of bingo games, mostly from Lakeshore that they played once a week depending on the skills we were working on.
 

This is a $ store shower curtain..I have 8! I wrote all the kindergarten words by quarter on 4 & then did the same thing for the 1st grade words. Then I label a freezer size baggie & place each shower curtain in it. When they are ready for new words then I just place a new "curtain" in the tub for word work. The kids toss a bean bag on a word & read it. This can also be used for sight words or amazing words...the possibilities are endless! I have math fact "curtains" as well.
The red tub on the left is where I store my Scott Foresman sight words sticks. Check those out here. I put all 80 spelling & HFW's per unit. I used a different color for each story & printed then out on labels (Avery 8167) & just stuck them on popsicle sticks & placed them in a recycled Crystal Light container. Very easy for the kids to use & put back during word work. The green lily pads have sight words on them. They place these around the room & "hop" on them as they say the sight words. The popcorn container is something I got through Scholastic or Highlights...I think.  I also made a set of football & baseball sight words to use during word work. They LOVE all these games! Here are some of the games in action! 

 

 
 These are also from Lakeshore! The kids really loved making words with these!

 I basically have every set of these Lakeshore quiz show games. They also have digital games now as well. Check them out here.
These are from Lakeshore too....surprise! They are unscrambling sentences during Word Work. 

 This is a digital version of a Working with Words game from Lakeshore. They have games for vocab, grammar, reading, word work, & phonics! Check them out here! I have them all!

 I spent so much time printing, cutting & laminating this year! I also put out seasonal centers once a week. My favorite centers come from the ladies at Made for 1st Grade. Check out their store here. I store all my centers below. I actually have to switch to bigger drawers since I was such a psycho buying centers on TPT. Seriously....I bought so many! I have a sickness I tell you!

These colorful magazine bins from IKEA store all sorts of Daily 5 goodies! As we come upon a skill I just take the bin over to the word work station & shift stuff around..model it for my little nuggets & they are good to go for the week!






Next is these cute little pretend iphones & ipads from Dragonflies in First! The kids thought they were sooooooo cool. I would have them "text" their spelling words & then write them. 


I asked our tech department if they had old keyboards & they did! I would have them type their spelling words if they got finished with an activity early.
 NEXT, is my "game organization". I make games & I have also purchased MANY from Kathy @ First Grade Ala Carte...her games are AWESOME! Anywho, I was going slightly INSANE with all the games I purchased & made so I needed some kind of organization because my bins from above were EXPLODING & I had no more room for anything! At our school we have started to tutor..ugh...& a half of my grade level coworkers tutor in my room so I needed to get all this stuff organized so that we could easily pull it out of a drawer, bin, shelf etc. with ease.....2.5 seconds after we walk in the door! So this is what I came up with.....
This is my Language Arts binder. I put all the game from Kathy or myself in sheet protectors. In the back of each game is where the cards & answer sheet or any accountability sheets are stored. We can easily pull out the sheet protector & leave the binder OPEN & simply put it back in it's place when we are done. 
This is a binder that I have divided by vowels, digraphs, blends, & sight words. I laminated each game that I bought from Kathy @ First Grade Ala Carte or that I made & hole punched it & placed it in this binder. The only thing these particular games need is a die or dice & game markers for each player. 

 Check out Kathy's store here!

Here is a drawer full of game markers..........
And here are the dice...of course they have a choice :o) 


 I found this for $10 last summer at a garage sale! Be jealous. This is where I store some of my materials for Word Work.


 Click on the pic for your freebie!
When they use the "stamp-it" sheets they just grab a stamp pad & stamps & do their thing. This can be used for weekly spelling words, vocab, seasonal, amazing or sight words.
 I found this container in the tool section of Walmart & just slapped alphabet stickers on it to keep my kiddos organized. I used to have the letters all in one tub...well guess what happened?!? Yes, they spent half the word work time trying to find the letters they needed..ugh! So this has solved that problem! 

 
More word work rotation sheets........................
 Stop drooling! I love school supplies like I know all of you do. My students love the choices they have with all of these school supplies to rainbow write. There are thin & thick markers, crayons, glittery crayons, colored pencils, highlighters, gel pens, smelly markers & those pens with the funky tops


 Have you ever seen this game????? It's called HEBANZ...CHECK IT OUT HERE! it's actually a cute game but I just switched it to make it more educational. I use the sight word cards that you see in the background for this word work station. You can easily create your own flashcards using index cards. This can even be used for math facts! Check my kids out in action........
I know...HOLY CUTENESS! Here is how it goes....the boy in the grey sweatshirt is "it". The children starting with the cutie pie in the blue shirt spell the word on his headband & he has to guess his word. If he guesses he picks the next person to be "it" & then they spell their word. After everyone gets done then WITHOUT looking they flip their card over & start over until it's time for a new card. Great way to review or learn new sight words on a weekly basis...don't ya think?!!?


                                                                  

Holy guacamole was that a LONG post! It took FOREVER! I hope I gave you some ideas for word work! You wouldn't hurt my feelings if you left me a comment :o) Oh, the first five to comment with their EMAIL can choose any Candy Land game from my store!







Click on the Pinterest button above & follow my Daily 5 & Daily 5 book study boards!

If you would like to join the linky party YOU MUST LINK DIRECTLY TO YOUR D5 POST OTHERWISE IT WILL BE TAKEN DOWN.

Check out our chapter 6 hostesses below: 
Fabulously First
Our chapter 7 hostesses are these fabulous bloggers!








Surfin' Through Second










30 comments:

  1. I absolutely love your blog and look forward to your posts. Nice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You just gave me so many ideas that I want to start in my classroom this year. Guess I better get to work. Thank you so much for sharing your hard work and ideas!!
    withers.brandy@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! Thank you so much for taking the time out to post all those ideas! They will make word work a million times easier! Love all your ideas! You are so creative!

    gobstoppersrock@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are AWESOME!!! Thank you so much for sharing all of you wonderful organizational tips. Your students look so engaged!! I want to be in your class!!
    Connie:)
    www.welcometofirstgraderoom5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such fabulous ideas! I want all those resources!!! :)

    Emily
    eah719@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many wonderful ideas!
    Ruth
    prestrr@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. The kids look like they are having so much fun! I hope that in a few years I can build my resources up like this and be that amazing!

    I do have one question though. Your games look really interactive (and fun!) does it ever get to loud to hold your groups or for those kiddos doing read to self?

    Adventures in Room 5

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this post! So many great ideas! But I have two questions. How many students do you let pair up if they choose Work on Words?? Is it as many who want to play a particular game together?? And my second question is the same as Cassandra...does it get too loud??? I guess that was actually three questions :)
    Thanks for all the great ideas!
    Yolanda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my! Can I come rainbow write in your room?!?! It looks like so much fun! My goal is to have supplies for the kiddos that look like that! I've started scoping out the back to school bins so I can start stockpiling! How fun!
    Thanks for your great ideas!
    JennyB
    One Berry Blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely loved this post. I love the Daily 5...it really stimulates my kiddies.

    Http://www.2teachis2inspire4ever.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey there!

    I hope you can join me in my "Preparing for School" linky party @ {6th Grade} All-Stars

    Thanks
    Mrs. Crouse :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lots of great word work ideas! I've been thinking of getting those interactive games from Lakeshore Learning (just love that store).

    It was great meeting you at the Chigago area blogger meet-up!

    Ms. Fiorini’s Stadium

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm giving you the One Lovely Blog award! Stop by my blog to pick it up :)
    Reflections at Recess

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can I just say WOW!!! I feel like I have had someone come in and take pictures of my own stash of games and word work materials- since I am just startedusing the D5 I am excited to see that I can use it ALL! Thanks for sharing in such detail- Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would like to pass along an award to you! Hop over to my blog to claim it.

    Shelly

    Smiling and Shining in Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi there. I love all your ideas you have shared. I was wondering do you sell your games for candy land?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you go to the top of my blog & click on "Candy Land Games" it will lead you directly to my store.

      Delete
  19. Everything looks fun! Can't wait to try some of your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW. I just pinned just about every idea above. So many freebies and great ideas. Thanks! I know my kids will have a more exciting year because of you and your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi I love you blog! Just want to know where did you get your letter stamps for spelling.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm a homeschool mom and really appreciate your ideas and freebies. My son is a very creative sort of child and likes to repeat the games and creative materials I find. He's busy right now writing his spelling words in rainbow colorsThank you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm inspired! Thank you so much. As a first-year teacher I am so grateful for the internet and generous veterans like you who are dedicated to improving the profession and the professionals.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Mel,

    Do you have an electroic copy of your lilly pad, baseball, and football sight word? I love them! I'll be creating them if you can't share that one. :)becky_hayden@roseau.k12.mn.us

    ReplyDelete
  25. We're loving the Candyland games!
    Have a look at our printable resources for instant download!
    http://www.teacherbrain.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  26. Discovered you through pinterest. Love your word work ideas! Thank you so much! I have just started a blog with my classroom so I'm exploring other blogs for ideas..etc.
    Thank you very much!

    Kiri

    ReplyDelete
  27. We Hold our Tutors to a Higher Standard, and Pay our Tutors More Fairly, than nearly any other Tutoring Company.Thus, we have Better (and more Experienced) Tutors.We accept only the top tutor applicants, and will never compromise our selectivity in order to artificially inflate our ranks. In addition, every member of the Team is required to have recently scored in the 95th percentile or above on any standardized test that he/she teaches.Math Tutor Austin, Math Tutor Atlanta, Math Tutor Houston, Math Tutor Seattle.
    Science Tutor Las Vegas | Math Tutor Hawaii | Math Tutor Las Vegas | Tutor for kids Las Vegas | Math Tutor Charlotte | Math Tutor Phoenix | Math Tutor Los Angeles | Math Tutor Boston | Math Tutor New York | Math Tutor Denver | Math Tutor Chicago |

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the LAKESHORE dry erase word family cards. Do you have the actual name for htis item or the catalog #? I would LOVE to order them for my classroom! THANKS!

    ReplyDelete