Have I ever told you how much I love popsicle sticks? Well, I am obsessed with them! I also have quite the obsession with reusing Crystal Light containers & I stalk all my friends for them....you can ask! My one friend emptied 7 containers for me while I was over for a visit..it was like Christmas for me! Ok friends this is what I do with them for word work, spelling, and writing practice.
In these beautiful containers house ALL of the Scott Foresman Reading Street HFW & spelling words for ALL 5 units! There are 80 words for each unit. Did I waste all day writing 400 words on the sticks you ask? UM, NOOOOO! I am a LABEL QUEEN! I use them for EVERTHING! I don't have the best handwriting & let's face it, it just looks pretty, am I right?
This is a snippet of what the labels look like. I used a different color for each story. You simply use Avery 8167 or equivalent labels & ta-da you just printed out 80 words for one whole unit! Now all you have to do is peel off the labels and put them on the sticks. I buy my sticks @ Joann Fabrics...don't forget to use a 40% off coupon!
Look at these beauties! This is a great activity for centers or filler activities. I also use these during RTI time. Your students will love this & it's so easy to do. It looks so much better with labels than writing the words.
Click HERE to get your FREE Unit 1-5 labels!
Click HERE to get your Unit 2 labels!
Click HERE to get your Unit 3 labels!
Click HERE to get your Unit 4 labels!
Click HERE to get your Unit 5 labels!
Do you like my container labels??? Just use Avery 8163 (2x4) or equivalent labels & print. Grab yours here for FREE!
Ideas for use in the classroom:
1. You can put the kids in a circle & each student pulls a stick..if they can read it the can keep it..if they can't then they put it back.
2. You can put the kids in pairs. One student pulls a stick & reads it & the other student has to spell the word out loud. If they spell the word correctly they keep the stick.
3. This can be used in a writing center. The student pulls a stick & they write a sentence using each word they pull.
4. This can also be used in a word work station for Daily 5. They pull a stick & they can stamp, decorate, or rainbow write the words they pick.
5. If you have an Elmo you can put the words under the Elmo & each student has to yell out the word.
6. I've used this for a review & made a sparkle game out of it. I would go through 80 sticks while they spelled each word. You'd be surprised how fast they forget how to spell the words from a test they JUST had. But this makes them keep practicing & using these words so they don't forget them.
Comment below if you have any more suggestions.